Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Imobilizer woes

2 weeks ago, I climbed in after the car had been idle for about 3 days and the car wouldn't start. It was as if I wasn't pressing the clutch. Noticed the imobilizer light was flashing. Oh dear. Called JAF who poked around in the bonnet, checking fuses etc and as if by some magic, the car started albeit with an engine check lamp.

Off to Mazda who confirmed there HAD been an issue but all was looking ok now. They said the error was that the dash couldn't talk to the ABS sensor briefly. Hmmm. But they assured me all was well.

A week later, I was driving down road and the gauges shut down briefly. Speedo and revs just turned to zero but then came back on again almost instantly. Another check lamp. The next race was in a week so I was a little worried and drove down to D-Technique.

I was pretty sure it was the HKS speed limit remover wiring. I've had the device removed since May (because of the Party Race) but the wiring is basically joined using some plastic connectors that they provide. Traced the problem down to a loose wire on one of the connectors. Yikes. After checking all the others, we were back in one piece again and the engine started fine. Lets hope it keeps that way. That was a good find a week before the next race! I've been having issues like this on and off with the gauge and check lamps for about a year so it will be great it this resolves it. Would be cool if it improved performance too. lol.

1 comment:

RE-Xtreme said...

I wish my clutch issues were that easy.

I need another pair of eyes and a few more brains.

Russ.