Monday, April 21, 2008

Cockpit Camera

I got a Xacti to record the goings on in the cabin as it works with an SD card and is quite light. Oh it also works with a Mac which was another plus for it. My last camera only saved ASF files which were not very Mac friendly.

Only problem was that since the camera is mounted so far forward in the roadster that the angle wasn't wide enough. Unfortunately for me, the Xacti I bought didn't support any lens attachments! Yikes! After a bit of looking about on the net, I found a .45mm magnetic lens that would suck to the camera. This also had its drawbacks though as the magnet was not strong enough to withstand a little shake or two. No way to use it for driving. Hmmm.

Seeing as this was my only usage for the camera, I decided to take a drastic measure and attach the lens to the camera with silicon seal. The silicon has nice flex in it so that it shouldn't break under the rattles of driving unlike perhaps super glue. I'll probably add another layer of silicon around the edges once I see what its like in the car. That was the advice at least of the Feather King :-)

Anyway, here are the results so far.

The cockpit view:
Cockpit view

Xacti side view:
Xacti #1

Xacti from a different angle:
Xacti #2

No comments: