Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Another set of brake pads

Not much to do this time round. Saturday I ran at Tsukuba for 2 sessions. Monday was a holiday so took the opportunity to wash the car and check the brakes. Pads seemed a little on the thin side so I thought I'd have a look at them again after some errands. Picked up some new wiper blades as the old ones were useless and bought some tape etc at D-Tech. All ready then...

Err, no. Forgot the damn pads. Definitely not advised to skimp on pads so tonight I had another look at them after work. Looking at them through the spokes of the wheels, it's always hard to judge so I stared at the buggers deciding what to do for quite some time. In the end, I decided that they were probably past their race safety date and went off to get my tools.

Glad I did because when I pulled off the front left side the outside measured 8mm on the outside and 9mm on the inside. Hmmm. The backplate is 6mm so that's only 2mm of pad left. Good man Tom. I seem to have cleaned off another set of pads in two months. Changing them by flash light in my car park was fun, but I'm getting good at it these days so pretty soon I won't need any light at all.

Only thing remaining now is to give my glass some attention as there is a possibility of rain for this Saturday's race. I've saved that work for tomorrow morning when its light out. Car currently has just over 8000 kms on clock.

I should also add that I felt pretty good with this batch of pads verses the previous 2 batches. Either my braking has improved, I've got used to the car or the actual pads were better even though they were the same maker...

3 comments:

TAKA said...

Still on MazdaSpeed. They are non asbestos pads and you may want some carbon metal non asbestos version. That may last longer.

Tom said...

Yeah, unfortunately we're restricted to either Mazdaspeed or Endless pads for the Party Races. Endless brakes last longer but they were not recommended by some people. Of course lots of people do use them... Its hard to decide what to do. I do have a set of them... Hmmm. Perhaps it would be worth giving them a go for a few sessions off season. I hear the peddle feel changes quite a lot depending on their temperature though...

TAKA said...

Well depends which Endless pad you are talking about. I think the Type R pad are quite good.