Thursday, May 22, 2008

4th to 5th clunk

Gear oil change has made things quite smooth. The oil heats up faster and gear changes happen smoother quicker after a cold start. Previously, it took a little patience to get it in gear if the gear oil was cold. Anyway, that seems improved now...

However, one of the reasons I got the change for in the beginning was a kind of a spinning noise and a clunky feeling/vibration when changing from 4th to 5th. This is most noticeable when changing up to 5th at about 2500 revs or so and shifting relatively effeciently into 5th before the revs dropped so much. I don't mean, snapping it in quickly, just a normal shift really. If I wait for the revs to drop a little with the clutch in, it shifts into 5th very smoothly.

After talking to D-Tech, this happened because I hit the 5th gear gate at high revs when changing up from 2nd to 3rd. Hmmm. Is this transmission really that weak that this happened just because of one shift miss?! Anyway, I've decided to drive it as it is for now and get more practice in on this box before fixing the problem under warranty. It shouldn't damage anything else I am told and I don't really need 5th at Tsukuba although I do at Fuji.

Btw, the gear oil I'm using is Motul 75W140 Competition

In other news, I'll be in Karuizawa this weekend at the Roadster meeting. Should be fun!!!

No comments: